Tuesday, August 23, 2011

"A Lot Of People Don't Know Making Beats Is [Only] 20 Percent Of My Mind"

[With the new release of his The Birth of D-Boy Fresh mixtape, producer Drumma Boy opens up about his first-ever solo underground project.]
This is my first solo mixtape that I've ever dropped. I've been working hard with everyone from Gucci Mane to B.o.B. All of that is standard, but a lot of people don't know me making beats is 20 percent of my mind. I just do that for fun. I started it out as a hobby. I was rapping before I got into making beats. I've always had passions for being an actor, television host, deejay, basketball player to really anything. Anything I've had a passion for, I've taken advantage of that.
Whether it's through a hobby or whether it's doing it one time and making a career out of it. I could do one movie and be like, "I had a great time doing it but now I'm done." It's like the reality show I did, [BET's] "Welcome To Dream Land." It was cool to do a reality show, it was uplifting. But now I'm not interested in doing another reality show. We've had several offers but I'm into doing what I want to do.
Now as far as this mixtape, I'm doing a little harmony on it. I don't really want to call it singing, I'm a harmonizer. I do a little harmony on here. With rap, I don't look at it like I'm a rapper. Of course people are going to categorize me as a rapper at things like the BET red carpet. They have me listed as rapper/producer which is cool.
But rap and rapping to me is like literature. It's the spoken word. You find out more information from me through the way I talk, the way I speak and the way I deliver my message. That's why you want to do an interview with me. That's why The Source, XXL or whoever else wants to talk to me and learn more about Drumma Boy. They want to know what are my interests, what I'm doing, what kind of women I like, all of these different questions.
All of those things are delivered in my music. That's the whole other side. Drumma Boy is what you hear musically and then my D-Boy Fresh is my alias. That's what you hear lyrically. Right now, D-Boy Fresh is talking.
I wanted to put this out on my birthday to let people know it's the birth. It's me speaking out verbally. It's my introduction to everyone.
Drumma Boy, born and raised in Memphis, TN, is one of the South's most innovative producers, pumping out a variety of sounds for the industry's upcoming artists. The beatmaker turned producer travels back and forth between Atlanta and Memphis, producing, promoting and networking alongside Drum Squad Promotions. He has worked with artists such as Young Jeezy, E-40, Gorilla Zoe, Plies, Paul Wall, Juvenile, Young Joc, Boyz n da Hood, Yo Gotti, Gangsta Boo, La Chat, Eightball & MJG, Project Pat, Soulja Slim, B.G., and many more.
Check out the mixtape below:




Download Mixtape Free | LiveMixtapes.com Mixtape Player

No comments:

Post a Comment