Sunday, July 17, 2011

How Did Lil Wayne Get So Popular? Reddit Investigates

Suspicions are running amuck that Weezy F. Baby is on his way out the game, voluntarily or not.  Some say his raps have sucked since going sober, and he himself has hinted that Tha Carter IV might be his last LP.  But Wayne’s legacy still doesn’t seem like a shoo-in among the greats, as he still faces harsh criticism from those who believe he never deserved the acclaim in the first place.  One Reddit user articulated his/her concerns:
I understand that talentless “singers” sell lots of records, and that’s nothing new, but Lil’ Wayne is especially confusing to me.
He is probably the most recognizable artist currently recording. I’m not consulting any charts or lists or anything, I’m just hypothesizing based on how often I hear a song featuring him, or how frequently I see him on tv, etc.
How did he manage this level of success?
I listened to him in college when he was in the Hot Boyz. I liked them, but mind you I also liked the entire No Limit catalog (Mia X, Skull Duggery, and many other shitty rappers), amongst other bands that have since vanished. What I’m saying is I had questionable taste in music then, so “Wayne” was a perfect fit.
Nothing really stood out about him then, and I think he was inferior to BG and Juvenile, two guys in similar situations as him who didn’t go nearly as far. In fact, this whole post comes by way of me loading up my ipod and stumbling upon his music and thinking “wow, there’s a good song…there are 20 shitty ones…hey, there’s another good one…20 more shitty ones…”
I really want to know if anyone knows how he went from semi-popular southern rapper to the guy who still can’t rap a lick but sells a million copies of everything he appears on.
It isn’t me saying “he sucks and this is why”; I am legitimately interested in hearing why people think he became this major.

No comments:

Post a Comment