Thursday, April 28, 2011

#RandomThoughts: What Will HOT 97′s Summer Jam 2011 Bring?

*Quick Disclaimer* This is in no way me revealing the line up for Summer Jam 2011, just some quick thoughts on this years show.
Ok, so when I first started UHTN back in 2005/2006, the first post/thing you would see on my page would be an open letter. Whether it was addressing industry BS, career woes, or just maybe some motivational shit for my subscribers, it was always something up.  And I would write it to an instrumental (I’m writing to the Clipse’s  ”Popular Demand” right now.)  But with Twitter/Tumblr emerging as the canvas for random emotional outbursts and other personal tidbits, I’ve strayed from that format. So, in a brave attempt to keep my site from looking like everyone else’s in some form or fashion I’ve decided to try and being with #RandomThoughts at least three times a week. Not every morning because I know I won’t be able to do so, but I can do three times a week.
HOT 97′s Summer Jam has always been a pivotal outing in the Tri-State- and that’s a known fact. Back when I was a young twerp stealing tapes out my sisters room she would always frequent the concert without even CONSIDERING bringing me along. Every year I would beg and plead, but to no avail…I would be left at home wondering what type of shit she got to witness. One year I almost got a ticket, but one of her punk ass friends swiped it at the last minute- I have yet to forgive either one of them.
However, over the past 4 year lil bro managed to get his weight up. I’m speaking industry and physically (I’m being told I’m filling into my #GrownManWeight. So not cool). I can’t remember EXACTLY my first year in attending the show on my own, but I know it was probably around the 2008 or 2009 mark. Either way, shit was fun as all fuck. Wait what year was the Swizz/Kanye beat battle? 2007? Ok, yeah that was my first year. And let me tell you, THAT SHIT? That shit was fucking crazy. Beat for beat? Kanye talking his arrogant, flamboyant BULLSHIT and Swizz on his New York shit which speaks volumes when on the home turf. Personally, Swizz got him. I love Ye, but Swizz has to many joints to toy with.
There’s been plenty of memories over the past 4 years at Summer Jam. Some monumental. Some snoozers. But quite frankly, I’m ready for a monumental show this year. I’ve been attending more shows than usual over the past 16 months and it seems like folks are TRYING to step their stage shows up. And it also seems like hip-hop is getting the message that SHOW MONEY is probably the BEST MONEY. But that’s a different #RandomThoughts. The most recent show I attended was Diddy’s Coming Home Tour at Hammerstein last weekend. Like him or not, Diddy put on a god damn show. Maybe I was just on that Ciroc a little too hard? See what I did there? (Whad Up, Tola?). Regardless, it was Puff’s energy and catalogue that held over the excitement throughout the night.
Some of the artists that hit these stages today don’t really have that deep of a catalogue to face off with a packed venue for two hours. Well at least not that big of a catalogue to keep folks entertained. I mean let’s face it, if you’re not Jay, Yeezy, Em, Diddy, 50, maybe Busta, Mary J, Alicia Keys, R.Kelly, Outkast, DMX, The Lox, Nas, Snoop, Ludacris, Nelly (maybe), Wayne, T.I. and a few others, you’re going to a lose a few of those Summer Jam attendees. Now it’s not to say these newbies can’t get their rocks off, but having tricks up the sleeve is pretty beneficial to them during this night.
It’s an important night. Not just to the fans, but to the artists. Summer Jam is one of those stages that you have to show and prove. Can’t be lazy. Can’t mess up your fucking lyrics..NOT ONE. I digress. So for this year’s show. I want folks to show their ass. I want one of these young gunnerz to prove why they deserve to be mentioned with the elite. And to the OG’s, bring your asses back to where it all started. You’re not to cool for fucking Summer Jam. Who told you you didn’t have to pass through that stage? I hope one of your flunkies didn’t tell you Summer Jam was played out? I sincerely hope not. It’s already bad enough you dudes don’t throw out random freestyles anymore, but to alienate a stage you’ve prolly BEGGED to bless…fucking ridiculous. I don’t care what international gig you’re booked for, better bring your ass back across that pond.
I could go on for DAYS, but I won’t. Again, these are just some random thoughts that were circling the dome during my morning shower. I hope it resonated with some of you. Well I know it did for you Tri-State folks. Oh and this isn’t a shot at anyone, but can we keep the surprise appearances to 3 an act? It’s cool to bring your superstar buddies out, but having 90 niggas on stage and not know WHO THE FUCK is performing can be quite annoying for the nosebleeders.
Sincerely
Low “I Still Love You, Summer Jam” Key

No comments:

Post a Comment